Anatomy (part II)

At the end of ninth grade, I go to the elementary school class reunion. Elementary school already seems like such a long time ago, but the memories come trickling back as the girls in my former class rehash some of our amusing moments. I like when they laugh about things I did especially. They're nice girls and they wouldn't really make fun of me, it's just good to know that I was a memorable part of the class after all.

Except suddenly they're laughing about my science poster and I don't get why it's funny. I can feel my ears turning pink but I can't stop myself from asking what's so funny. I hate being the only one who doesn't get the joke. My friend quietly explains how my poster was just a little too anatomically correct. Now I really turn red, because I finally start to understand what they probably tried to tell me in fifth grade too.

I still don't quite get it, though. I mean, the picture was perfect. I checked it against my sister's high school book, too. But I've wisened up a bit by now, so I just smile along and everyone's moved on to the next topic anyway.

I illustrate the digestive system again for AP biology. This time I stop after the intestines, even though it seems sort of wrong. People seem to like my poster even though it isn't perfect. Life is weird.

No comments: