From Day One

Despite hating school in general, I always look forward eagerly to the first day. Every year I get psyched up all over again about having a fresh start. (My uncle tells me he can do this two to four times a year in college!) See, I generally don't mean to be bad, it's just that things tend to happen... and I'm sure it's really not my fault, it's the silly teachers. So this year will be better for sure, because not only am I more mature and more determined than ever, but there are a couple of new teachers and this time I'm sure we'll hit off great. Yes, the first day is so exciting -- pristine, error-free notebooks; unscuffed new shoes; bright, fresh posters; and another chance to make a first impression.

The big day is finally here, and the morning goes as expected. New young teacher, brimming with enthusiasm, smiles at us all equally and tells us what a great year we'll have. Recess bell rings right on schedule and everyone vies for the best summer story. Even lunch seems to stink a little less than last year. Yep, it's gonna be the best year ever!

During lunch we get our first glimpse of the new math teacher. She is the epitome of youthful sophistication, she teaches my favorite subject, and best of all she's never seen me before. Things are looking up and the new me is pumped for third period.

I'm still excited and hopeful when she pulls me aside shortly before class. (I wonder if she can somehow sense that I"m about to become her best student.) So I'm puzzled at first when she puts on a Strict Teacher Face and starts lecturing me about how we're not going to have any problems this year.

Then it hits me.
My reputation has preceded me.
I don't even stand a chance.
This is gonna be the worst year ever!

1 comment:

Something Different said...

Wow. I could have written this. Well, maybe not quite as excited as you, but my reputation always preceded me. Shame I had to lose faith in teachers and authority so early on. First came the clean slate speech to the class, then came the private talk...